8/18/2014

Cookbook: Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye

Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye


Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes
by Donna-Marie Pye
352 pages / 7.75"x10.5"
Index / Over 80 color photos
ISBN 9780778804833
$24.95US, $27.95CAN, £16.95UK


I received a complimentary copy of Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye through Robert Rose Inc. And to top it off, Donna-Marie Pye kindly shares with the readers at Loving Heart Designs in the Author Answers Segment of this review. Thank you!  



Most everyone thinks that bringing out the slow cooker means making a huge bulk recipe for lots of people, right? Not true with Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Julia Mirabella. Her cookbook is not only for large families but has a special chapter, "Meals for Two," so you can enjoy a quiet meal with your special person. What about MuShu for Two, Beef Stew for Two or Smokin' Mac and Cheese just to name a few of nearly two dozen  delicious recipes.  

Let's get real now, I have a large family and my home probably will always have family running about so I know that I will enjoy using it for decades to come. Just the other day, I whipped up the meatless  Cincinnati-style Holy Mole Chili for the gang. I opted to use unsweetened cocoa powder and ground cinnamon in place of mole sauce as the tip suggested. We had never heard of mole sauce. It was very different from my usual chili recipes. 

What I like about this particular recipe book is that it not only has healthy soups, stews, and chilis but it features yummy desserts that can be prepared in the slow cooker as well. You will find festive recipes for the holidays, double-duty dinners, and big-batch dinners too.
 

Since, I had never utilized my slow cooker to make desserts and I thought my family would like the Creamy Caramel Blondies(Page 346) from Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye. We served it with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream. The texture was great and it was very sweet. Everyone seemed well pleased with it!


Creamy Caramel Blondies, page 346


Creamy Caramel Blondies, page 346

I am sure your family will enjoy test-driving several of the 200 recipes featured in Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye. Donna-Marie features a wonderful "Slow-Cooker No How" section. And, not every recipes features a full colored-photograph but it is filled with tips and suggestions to make your recipe a success.



Author Answers Segment:



Credit line for below interview:

Courtesy of Donna-Marie Pye, author of Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes, 2014 © www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission.




1. Describe your cookbook to us, what should readers expect?  
Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes is a collection of recipes that is suited to anyone who likes to have meals ready for them at the end of the day.  From singles to large groups, there is something for everyone.  I like to cook from scratch, but I am also a busy working mother, so I am always creating recipes that are easy to prepare and use ingredients most people would have in their cupboards.  I want to make the book something anyone could use because I know so many people who have the appliance and are always disappointed in the lack of taste when they make a dish.  
2. What inspired you to become a writer and how has it changed your life?
Actually, writing didn’t come so easily to me, but cooking and talking did.  I had so many great memories and stories around food that if I could just “talk” about cooking naturally and put it in word format then it seemed to come out in a story.  As for changing my life, it has given me a larger profile and credibility in the business of owning and running my own cooking school as well as being part of the larger food community.  
3. What is the most exciting part of being a published author?  
I love it when people tell me how much they use my cookbooks and its one of their favourites in their collections.  My first book was launched over 15 years ago, and people still use it religiously!  I am very humbled when they put the face to the name and realize I am a “real” person.  But most importantly, it has given me a small legacy to leave for my children.
4. What were the biggest challenges you faced in writing the book?  
Creatively writing over 200 new recipes for the book.  Since it was my 3rd book, I really had to dig deep to come up with new ideas that would work for people.  That’s why I love the Double Duty Dinners section.  I think everyone loves to have at least one slow cooker meal, but then to be able to recreate a second meal from the leftovers (that’s just not reheating) just makes sense.   
5. What are your favorite recipes from this cookbook?  
I always find this question so hard to answer, because I have so many that I can tell you about, but here are just a few...Sweet Butter Chicken (I love Indian food), Pork and Potato Poutine (who doesn’t love poutine), Creamy Chicken with Lemon and Leeks/Chicken & Portobello Risotto (from Double Duty Dinners), Pumpkin Croissant Pudding with Tipsy Caramel Sauce (I developed it after reading “ The Help”) and the Warm Chocolate Lava Cake.  I think desserts in the slow cooker are totally overlooked, but they are so delicious and so easy to do.  I guess I say that because I have a sweet tooth.  In my opinion, no meal is complete without dessert!
6. What do your plans for future projects include? (Cookbook for children, Mason jar desserts, etc) Right now all of my time and energy is building a successful cooking school business. I launched it 3 years ago and it was the fulfillment of a longtime dream.  To teach people how to cook at any age and build confidence in the kitchen is something I feel passionate about. We need to eat, it’s not something we have a choice about, so we might as well know how to do it well.  Passing along this lifelong skill is so important.
7. Besides being a Slow Cooker Enthusiast, what are your hobbies? Besides being in the kitchen (which is where you find me most often) and discovering anything new to do with food and Julia Child, I love to do yoga (daily), dance and tennis (when I can), travel abroad, and read whenever I have quiet time.  I am an animal lover (especially my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Basil) and singing silly songs to turtles. I love to watch foreign films, live theatre especially musicals, I LOVE everything British (massive Royal watcher) and spending time with my husband, children and friends (enjoying a gin & tonic or glass of wine.)
8. How can our readers connect with you socially?
I have two Twitter handles @slowcookerqueen or @relishcooks.  My email is info@relishcookingstudio and Relish Cooking Studio has a Facebook page where you can connect with me. You can also contact me through my publisher www.robertrose.ca.





Thank you,
Janet Coffield
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/
Disclaimer: Loving Heart Designs received a free complimentary copy of Easy Everyday Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna-Marie Pye through Robert Rose.

I get Cash $$ Back when I shop online - sign up with Ebates and you could too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Come again ... Have a great day!

Loving Heart Designs
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/