4/23/2010

Drying Apples & Bananas

 Drying Apples & Bananas

From Recipes


My family and I enjoy eating various dried fruits like apples and bananas. We purchased the Harvest Maid Food Dehydrator by American Harvest back in 1985 and it still does a great job. It is somewhat yellow and faded but it still works well. I mislaid my instruction booklet for it so I began searching online to find out how long to dry fruits and at what temperatures.

You can find many helpful websites online to help educate in the art of drying fruits and vegetables. Whether you like eating dried fruits as a quick snack or using them in recipes, I would like to suggest using a dehydrator or one of the more economical approaches; the outdoor drying rack or the indoor oven. (See UGA link for more information about outdoor drying & the solar method)

Each dehydrator has different settings. I used 140 degrees for the apple and banana setting. The fruits will take from 12 to 24 hrs to dry using the dehydrator.(See photo above) You should check frequently as to not over dry or under dry your produce.

Resources:


We hope you have fun drying your own fruits and vegetables.

Thank you,
~GAhome2mom
http://www.lovingheartdesigns.com
Disclaimer: Loving Heart Designs is not responsible for any mishaps that may come about if a consumer uses the Harvest Maid Food Dehydrator by American Harvest or any other dehydrator while drying fruits and veggies. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get my own dehydrator! I plan on stocking my pantry with plenty of healthy snacks! I need to invest in another box of mason jars too!

    ReplyDelete


Come again ... Have a great day!

Loving Heart Designs
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/