7/22/2009

Recipe: SHIO-ZUKE (salt pickles)

From Recipes


Make Your Own Pickles - SHIO-ZUKE (salt pickles)


My dear husband loves making his own pickles(cucumbers). He uses a pickle press that can be purchased at a most Asian Markets for about $20. You can buy pickling packets (Ajinihon Seasoning Powder for Japanese Pickle Asazuke) from the Asian Market or make your own. He makes his own recipes.

Would you like to know more? Here is a demonstration/recipe using the pickle press. If anyone is interested in my husbands recipes, I can post it on here. Thanks.

Recipe for Shio-Zuke or Salt Pickles by ...

  • 5 cucumbers - wash, cut up as pictured above.
  • salt - pinch
  • red pepper flakes - 1 tsp.
  • garlic - 1 - 2 tsp.
  • vinegar 1 - 2 TBSP.
Toss into pickle press. To start off with, there will be no liquid inside but check it each day and turn the handle to press the liquid out. You can eat the pickles the next day. The pickles can be refrigerated up to a week. :)



~GAhome2mom
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! I've never made my own pickles before. I'd probably be eating the cucumber slices along the way! Happy WW!

    http://www.atticgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I might have to check out our local Asian market for one of my own.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they're superior to the store-bought kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those look delicious. I never saw a pickle press before. Sounds great!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this before but it looks really good. I have an Asian market right near my house.

    ReplyDelete


Come again ... Have a great day!

Loving Heart Designs
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/